Sunday, October 16, 2016

Blog # 5: Revenge of the Letter Press

This blog’s reading had a few terms to read about before our articles. Which went quite in-depth into the terms’ meaning, use, and function in time. I was familiar with most of the terms like autograph, facsimile, and sources. But holograph, urtext and overview were not firmly defined in my head.  I only put overview for the length of information that came along with this definition that I never thought about in terms of it’s practice through history.  Urtext meaning orginal text was pretty easy to wrap my head around. With holograph being no different being original manuscript. I now really enjoy the word holograph, now that I know what it means.
The question: What’s the shelf life of Urtext?  Answered by Annette Oppermann was a great post in helping provide function and purpose of urtext. Seeing the revisions was quite entertaining. I’ve had pieces over the years where practicing certain versions/revisions of the work needed if I wanted to mimic a great recording of a soloist. Knowing what version they were performing on would be vital to be able to look up.
The next link from G. Henle Verlag was concerning a postcard from Brahms. Which turned into a detective story of finding in what piece and where he was talking about in the postcard. I enjoyed the pride in the publishers to stay on top of current research studies. The Last article reading gave my eyes a bit of a blur. I tried to read the first page and it looked weird, so I scrolled to the bottom and it hard gotten worst. Luckily I found the page in English the 3rd time around….out of 3 pages. But it this also had to deal with Hungarian Dance no.5 by Brahms which dived into a performance practice problem concerning the Vivace middle section. But after his note to Tappert, it is common practice to how it should be played.

Lastly we had two videos this week. A lovely video that broke down how to bind a book as well as the craft needed to make it. It was called “the art of making a book: Setting type, print and binding by hand”. It was quite nice to watch, but the music almost put me to sleep, but thanks to the process of the back binding, for being thrilling enough to sway me back to the land of the living. The other video called “Upside Down, Left to right: A Letterpress Film”, was my favorite. While I mainly dreamed about using a letterpress system for a score and how nice it would feel to get all the indentation to a score. It was nice to hear that letter pressing is making a comeback.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Dallas, nice writing! I will admit to being a little less educated than you on the definitions, but I found them equally helpful to read through. It's interesting that you've come across various editions of works, in my performance career I have yet to have that issue. Perks of being a tuba player?

    I too found the letterpress videos very pleasing. In my own blog I wrote that I'd rather do this on a rainy Sunday than paint pots but that's just me. It was clear that he not only printed books but was also an artist with the system; there were many prints around that were abstract and wonderful to look at. The authenticity of letterpress is second to none, I would love if we had access to one here.

    ReplyDelete